Friday, May 30, 2014

How to get WHITE buttercream when using REAL butter!!?!?


Hi friends!!

This is a question I get often..."How do you get your buttercream to be white when using real butter?!" or "How do you get your marshmallow fondant to be a bright white?"

Picture by Cakes by Raewyn
For buttercream, lately I've been telling people to add a cup of powdered sugar to their meringue based buttercreams (whether Italian or Swiss) then add some white gel color from Americolor.  The powder sugar creates sugar crystals (that the meringue based buttercream lacks) and so the gel color bonds to the sugar crystals making a more even coloring.  BUT, it takes a good amount of gel color to do that.

For marshmallow fondant, I tell people to add some Americolor White gel to the melted marshmallow stage in order to brighten the fondant.

BUT...are you ready for a mind blowing trick!! - that takes the TINIEST drop of color!!?!!?!?

Check out this video below by Cakes by Raewyn!!   

And prepare for your world to be ROCKED!!! :)  Here is a great way to brighten up those creamy whites to white white.  I've also heard using the tiniest bit of blue can work too...but violet is preferred.

She recommends using Sugar Flair like this one HERE.  I've also read you can use Americolor violet but it can tend towards a tiny bit gray and not to use Wilton as it will give you a more dull gray color.  

Let's give Raewyn a huge thank you for this simple and "bright" techinque!!!  :)



12 comments:

  1. Hi, Jessica , when you offer a link to Amazon , if you do it thru Amazonsmile, they will donate part of the proceeds from their sales, to a charity of the buyers choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats pretty crazy :-) I'm totally confused right now :-D - this is simply genius. Thanks for sharing Jessica!

    Lots of love from germany, laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing post!!! Thank you for sharing and thumbs up for Raewyn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a pastry instructor with over 35 years of experience and have been teaching this technique for the longest. This is not a new technique. It is incredible how people proclaims a discovery or ownership or of a technique that was taught and comes from the old school. Back on 1979, I was taught back then as well as of the use of gliceryn to rescue a dried or cracked fondant; I teach this as well.

    When articles like this are posted or comes out, I refer them to my students and they laugh and get reassured we cannot believe everything that is posted on a site or the web.

    I am posting this with all due respect to honor the old school practices and techniques that are not acknowledged but not forgotten. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there!! I totally agree there is nothing new under the sun! :) I should have said "This is new to me!!!" - and something I hadn't thought of before!!! Thanks for clarifying!! Blessings!!!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for this post Jessica. I agree that nothing is really new, especially in patisserie and cake decorating, but something that is old to some can still be new to others and might even be a helpful reminder to those who have forgotten about certain techniques. I too do some teaching, but even teachers have to learn at some stage.

    The important thing is to keep sharing our knowledge and experience. That's how techniques develop and improve over time.

    So thank you Raewyn, Jessica and Leticia for sharing, improving and reminding us that we can all still learn or revise any skill.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessica pls can u tell us how to make corn syrup from scratch... For those of us who are not in the US. Love ur link to the shortening recipe... Pls if u come across a recipe let us know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea!! :) You can also use glucose mixed with a little water so it's the consistency of maple syrup. Blessings!

      Delete
  7. Jessica do u use acrylic boards or just cardboard boads to ganache cakes. Have u tried ganaching by creating a lip around the sides cutting it off and ganaching the top. Which one works best?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use both. Depends on what I have on hand. The acrylic works awesome! I haven't tried the lip technique. It would take longer than just using the board on top. Blessings!

      Delete
  8. Hey Jessica ....You suggest adding powdered sugar to SMBC/IMBC , but won't that leave a gritty mouth feel ...I hate gritty Butter Cream?

    ReplyDelete